I have the Seagate 3TB external hard drive. Recently when i plug it into my computer(USB 3.0), Seagate 3TB external hard drive is not recognized by My Computer, how to recover data from external hard drive?
When we encounter "External hard drive not recognized", there are several situations and we will provide the corresponding solution for each situation.
External hard drive not recognized by My Computer, but Disk Management can recognize it
There are three kinds of situations when external hard drive not recognized by My Computer, but disk Management can recognize it:
1. There is no drive letter of external hard drive in Disk Management
Solution: Right click external hard drive in Disk Management, Change Drive Letter and Paths..., Add and then assign a drive letter to external hard drive, then external hard drive can be recoginzed by My Computer.
2. Disk Management shows external hard drive as RAW file system or no file system type
Solution: Use M3 Data Recovery to fix RAW external hard drive or recover data from RAW external hard drive.
3. Disk Management shows external hard drive as unallocated space
Solution: Unallocated space means the partition has been lost on exterrnal hard drive, please use M3 Data Recovery to find lost partition and then recover data. Refer to the detailed steps: How to recover data from lost partition?
External hard drive not recognized by My Computer, Disk Management cannot recognize it either
Before data recovery from external hard drive, external hard drive must be recognized by Disk Management, there are several solutions we can have a try, otherwise, we need to send it to a local data recovery company for help.
1. Try it on another computer
2. Change another USB cable or new one and try again.
3. Remove hard drive from cartridge and then connect it to your computer as internal hard drive.
If none of those has worked, it might be somthing wrong with the hard drive, please send it to a local data recovery company for help.