How to get past Bitlocker recovery screen and Bitlocker recovery loop?
Some users have reported in forum posts that they are prompted to enter a Bitlocker recovery key when starting/booting Windows 10/8/7/Surface every time.
Bitlocker drive encryption software usually should not ask for the Bitlocker recovery key upon PC boot up during normal start-up. Under some curcumstances, it might ask for the Bitlocker recovery key after motherboard hardware changes, a crash or if the program believes the data might be under attack, but it should not happen continuously.
How to solve Bitlocker recovery screen asking for recovery key on login/boot?
Follow below steps to pass Bitlocker recovery screen or Bitlocker recovery loop:
Solution 1: Suspend Bitlocker protection and resume it
Step 1: Start your Windows computer or Surface.
Step 2: Enter Bitlocker recovery key (How/Where to find Bitlocker recovery key?) when seeing Bitlocker recovery screen.
If Bitlocker recovery key is not accepted, go to solution 2.
If you cannot find Bitlocker recovery key, refer to how to extract recovery key from TPM, but this solution is very difficult to operate in our life.
Step 3: Once Windows OS is started, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Bitlocker Drive Encryption.
Step 4: Click "Suspend protection" option next to the C drive (Or click "Turn off Bitlocker" to disable Bitlocker drive encryption on C drive).
Step 5: A dialog box window will open asking "Do you want to suspend BitLocker protection?", press the Yes button to confirm.
Step 6: Wait a few minutes after suspending protection and then click the "Resume protection" option to update Bitlocker TPM.
Step 7: Click "Change password" to reset the invalid password.
Step 8: Restart your computer and check if Bitlocker recovery screen persists.
Solution 2: Use manage-bde
If you've entered the correct Bitlocker recovery key multiple times, and are still unable to past Bitlocker recovery screen, follow these steps to break out of the Bitlocker recovery loop.
Step 1: On the Bitlocker recovery screen, don't enter your recovery key. Instead, select "Skip this drive".
Step 2: On the next screen, select Troubleshoot.
Step 3: On the Troubleshoot screen, select Advanced options.
Step 4: On the Advanced options screen, select Command prompt.
Step 5: From the WinRE command prompt, manually type the commad: manage-bde -unlock C: -rp recoverypassword to unlock the drive and press Enter.
If manage-bde failed to unlock this Bitlocker volume, download M3 Data Recovery WinPE edition and create M3 Data Recovery WinPE boot disk to rescue data.
Step 6: Type the command: manage-bde -protectors -disable C: to suspend the Bitlocker protection.
Once the last command is run, you can safely exit the command prompt and continue to boot into your operating system.
How to rescue data after Bitlocker recovery screen doesn't accept recovery key?
M3 Bitlocker Recovery is a Bitlocker data recovery software which can recover lost data from Bitlocker drive on Windows 10/8/7 and Windows Server 2016/2012/2008/2003.
M3 Bitlocker Recovery can recover lost data from failed, corrupted, inaccessible Bitlocker drive; recover lost data from formatted Bitlocker drive; recover lost data from deleted/lost Bitlocker encrypted partition' recover lost data after Bitlocker drive encryption failed, interrupted, etc. after supplying the password or Bitlocker recovery key.
Tutorial to rescue data from Bitlocker encrypted drive:
Step 1: Connect the hard drive to another computer as an external hard drive. If not, please download M3 Data Recovery WinPE edition and create M3 Data Recovery WinPE boot disk to rescue your data.
Step 2: Download, install and launch M3 Bitlocker Recovery software on your computer.
Step 3: Select the Bitlocker drive and then click Next to continue.
Step 4: Enter the password or 48-digit Bitlocker recovery key and click Ok.
Step 5: M3 Bitlocker Recovery is decryptiong data from Bitlocker drive.
Step 6: After the scan completes, select the files you need and click Recover to start recovery.
If you find some recovered files cannot be opened, check "Enable brute-force decryption" option to recover them again.
Common Bitlocker recovery error
1. Recovery error. Error recovering disk, A recovery key was not found on this drive. The drive cannot be unlocked.
2. Recovery error. Error recovering disk, the recovery key you typed is not correct. Type it again.
3. Manage-bde failed to unlock volume with the correct password or Bitlocker recovery key.
4. Bitlocker drive doesn't accept correct password or Bitlocker recovery key.
5. Bitlocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows, try opening the drive using a newer version of Windows.
6. BitLocker drive encryption failed to recover from an abruptly terminated conversion. This could be due to either all conversion logs being corrupted or the media being write-protected.
8. Bitlocker recovery key or password is not working on Windows 10/8/7.
9. Disk Management shows Bitlocker drive as unknown file system.
When encountering the above Bitlocker recovery error, Bitlocker drive cannot be unlocked so that we cannot access the data stored in Bitlocker drive. In this situation, we have to find a Bitlocker data recovery software to recover lost data from Bitlocker drive.
- How to recover deleted/lost Bitlocker encrypted partition?
- How to recover lost data from formattetd Bitlocker drive?
- How to recover lost data from inaccessible Bitlocker drive?
- How to recover lost data from failing/failed Bitlocker drive?
- How to recover lost data after Bitlocker encryption stuck in Windows 10/8/7?
- How to unlock Bitlocker drive with/without password or Bitlocker recovery key?
- How to recover lost data after Bitlocker encryption interrupted in Windows 10/8/7?
- Surface Bitlocker Recovery: Recover Bitlocker recovery key or recover lost data from Bitlocker encrypted Surface