What is BitLocker recovery and how to do BitLocker recovery?
Summary: This article will tell you what is BitLocker recovery and how to do BitLocker recovery.
What is BitLocker recovery?
BitLocker recovery is the process by which you can restore access to a BitLocker encrypted drive in the event that you cannot unlock BitLocker encrypted drive normally.
If it is a BitLocker encrypted operating system drive, connect it to another computer or find a BitLocker recovery boot disk to recover your data.
How to do BitLocker recovery?
Unlike common data recovery, BitLocker recovery requires intact BitLocker metadata and password or BitLocker recovery key to decrypt data.
BitLocker recovery scenarios
1. If your BitLocker drive is in good condition, just enter the password or recovery key to unlock BitLocker drive.
2. If you forget the password or recovery key, unlocking drive is still possible. Refer to: How to unlock BitLocker drive without password and recovery?
3. If your BitLocker encrypted computer is experiencing BitLocker recovery screen issue, enter recovery key to pass BitLocker recovery screen.
4. If your BitLocker drive keeps asking for recovery key, enter the recovery key or use M3 BitLocker Recovery to rescue your data.
5. If your BitLocker drive doesn't accept the correct password or recovery key, use M3 BitLocker Recovery to recover your data.
6. If your BitLocker drive failed, the only way is to recover data with M3 BitLocker Recovery.
7. If your BitLocker drive is corrupted or damaged, M3 BitLocker Recovery can rescue your data.
8. If your BitLocker partition is deleted or lost, M3 BitLocker Recovery can find the previous BitLocker partition and recover data.
9. If BitLocker drive is formatted by Windows 7/8/10 built-in format tool, formatting has damaged BitLocker metadata so that lost data cannot be recovered. If you formatted BitLocker drive by other tool or other operating system, recovering data from formatted BitLocker drive is possible.
10. If your BitLocker drive is not recognized by Disk Management or Device Manager, send it to a local data recovery professional for help.
BitLocker recovery software: M3 BitLocker Recovery
Sometimes, the password and recovery key won't unlock BitLocker drive. In this situation,, a professional BitLocker recovery software is needed.
M3 BitLocker Recovery is a professional BitLocker data recovery software. It can recover lost data from failed, corrupted, lost or deleted BitLocker partition, etc. after supplying the password or recovery key.
Tutorial to recover lost data from BitLocker encrypted drive
Step 1: Download, install and launch M3 BitLocker Recovery on your Windows computer.
Step 2: Select BitLocker drive and click Next to continue.
Step 3: Enter the password or 48-digit BitLocker recovery key to decrypt data from BitLocker drive.
Step 4: M3 BitLocker Recovery is scanning and decrypting the data from the specific BitLocker drive.
Step 5: After all your files are found, preview the documents, photos and play the videos, audios to see if your lost files are recoverable.
Step 6: Select the needed files and click "Recover" to start the recovery.
If you find some recovered files cannot be opened, please check "Revert decryption" option and recover them again.
Common BitLocker recovery error
1. Recovery error. Error recovering disk, A recovery key was not found on this drive. The drive cannot be unlocked.
2. Recovery error. Error recovering disk, the recovery key you typed is not correct. Type it again.
3. Manage-bde failed to unlock volume with the correct password or BitLocker recovery key.
4. BitLocker drive doesn't accept correct password or BitLocker recovery key.
5. BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows, try opening the drive using a newer version of Windows.
6. BitLocker drive encryption failed to recover from an abruptly terminated conversion. This could be due to either all conversion logs being corrupted or the media being write-protected.
8. BitLocker recovery key or password is not working on Windows 10/8/7.
9. Disk Management shows BitLocker drive as unknown file system.
When encountering the above BitLocker recovery error, BitLocker drive cannot be unlocked so that we cannot access the data stored in BitLocker drive. In this situation, we have to find a BitLocker Data Recovery software to recover lost data from BitLocker drive.