Corrupted SD card recovery: How to fix corrupted SD card and recover data?
Summary: This artile will show you how to fix corrupted SD card and recover data.
Corrupted SD card scenarios
1. SD memory card 0 bytes, RAW or unknown file system
2. SD card showing incorrect capacity in Disk Management
3. Accidently deleted photos/videos from SD card
4. SD card is write protected cannot format
5. SD card not recognized in Windows 10/8/7
6. Windows is unable to complete the format on RAW SD card
7. SD card is not formatted, do you want to format it now?
How to fix corrupted/unreadable SD card?
Following are five solutions to fix corrupted SD card:
Solution 1: Connect SD card to another computer
Sometims, SD card is not readable due to incompatibility or driver-related issues. In such case, try to connect SD card to anotherr computer in both PC or Mac.
Solution 2: Fix corrupted SD card with chkdsk command
Chkdsk is a Windows utility that can check the integrity of the hard disk and can fix various file system errors
Step 1: Insert the corrupted SD card into a Windows computer via card reader.
Step 2: Right click My Computer (Or This PC), select Manage -Storage - Disk Management and check the drive letter has been assigned to the SD card.
Step 3: Click on the "Start" option from your Windows taskbar and type "cmd" in the "search" box.
Step 4: Right-click "cmd" and then select the "Run as administrator" option.
Step 5: A command window opens, type chkdsk X: /f, X is the drive letter of the corrupted SD card.
Step 6: After you press "enter", Chkdsk will check for possible errors and try to fix corrupted SD card.
Solution 3: Assign a new drive letter to an unreadable SD card
Connect your SD card to a card reader in the Windows Operating System, If your Operating System doesn't assign a new drive letter to it, the SD card not readable. To resolve this problem, please assign a new drive letter to the connected SD card through Disk Management built-in your Operating System.
Solution 4: Fix corrupted SD card by reformatting
After data recovery is successfully done from SD card, we can reformat SD card for usage again.
1. Format SD card to FAT32/exFAT with Windows built-in format tool`
Right click SD card in My Computer (This PC) or Disk Management and select "Format..." option.
Select FAT32/exFAT file system and then click "Start" button to reformat SD card.
If Windows is uable to format SD card, maybe SD card is write-protected or physically damaged, please try SD card formatter or the corresponding SD card production tool according to SD card model.
2. Format SD card to FAT32/exFAT with SD card formatter
SD card formatter formats all SD memory cards, SDHC memory cards and SDXC memory cards. SD card formatter provides quick and easy access to the full capabilities of your SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards. The SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a "Protected Area" on the card for the SD standard's security function. The SD Card Formatter does not format the "Protected Area". Please use appropriate application software or SD-compatible device that provides SD security function to format the "Protected Area" in the memory card.
3. Format SD card to FAT32/exFAT with SD card production tool
Please go to SD card manufacturer and find corresponding production tool according to SD card model.
Solution 5: Reinstall the driver
You can try to reinstall the driver by following steps:
Step 1: Connect your SD card to a card reader in the Windows Operating system.
Step 2: Right click My Computer (Or This PC), select Manage -Device Manager.
Step 3: Double click Disk drives in Device Manager right panel and right click SD card.
Step 4: Click Uninstall and click Ok.
Step 5: Disconnect your SD card and restart your PC.
How to avoid SD card data loss again?
1. Avoid connecting SD card to the public computer: Public computer may be infected by virus attack, if you connect SD card to a computer which has been attacked by virus, the SD card will also be infected by virus. When the SD card is attacked by virus, it may stop working properly and shows 0 bytes, RAW file system.
2. Eject SD card properly: SD card is easy to be corrupted if we eject SD card inproperly. If we remove SD card from your computer when SD card is still in use, SD card can also be corrupted, so we must safely remove SD card by clicking "Safely Remove Hardware" option.
3. Back up important data: Data backup is the best way to prevent data loss.