How to encrypt USB drive with BitLocker on macOS/Mac OS X?
Preconditions for using BitLocker drive encryption on macOS/Mac OS X
1. Prepare for an external drive, such as USB drive, flash drive, external hard drive.
2. The file system of the external drive must be NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT.
3. BitLocker drive encryption requires macOS 10.11 and above OS (Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina).
Tutorial to encrypt USB drive with BitLocker on macOS Catalina/Mojave/High Sierra/Sierra/El Capitan
Step 1: Download and install M3 BitLocker Loader for Mac.
Step 2: Insert USB drive (USB flash drive or USB external hard drive) into Mac computer.
Step 3: Launch M3 BitLocker Loader for Mac.
Step 4: Click "Encrypt" button in toolbar.
Step 5: Select the partition which you want to encrypt and click Encrypt.
Step 6: Enter the password.
Step 7: Save the recovery key.
Step 8: It will take a while to complete BitLocker drive encryption. Once the encryption is completed, the external drive will be protected by BitLocker, there is no M3 BitLocker Loader for Mac installed on the external drive, so you don't need to worry about your data security.
After using BitLocker to encrypt external drive on Mac, we can use M3 BitLocker Loader for Mac to read/write BitLocker encrypted drive on Mac Mini, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac with macOS Catalina 10.15/Mojave 10.14/High Sierra 10.13/Sierra 10.12 and Mac OS X 10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8 Operating Systems.
You can also access BitLocker encrypted external drive on any Windows computer without the 3rd-party software or access BitLocker encrypted external drive in Linux with M3 BitLocker Loader for Linux.
Tutorial to open and read/write BitLocker encrypted USB drive on Mac computer
Step 1: Download, install and launch M3 BitLocker Loader for Mac on your Mac computer.
Step 2: Insert a BitLocker encrypted USB drive.
Step 3: Select BitLocker encrypted USB drive you want to open on Mac computer and then click "Open" icon to continue.
Step 4: Enter the password (or 48-digit BitLocker recovery key) and click "Unlock" to unlock BitLocker encrypted USB drive.
Step 5: Select the files in BitLocker encrypted USB drive you and then copy them out.
- How to recover lost data from formatted USB flash drive?
- How to recover lost data from USB drive and fix corrupted USB drive?
- BitLocker encrypted USB drive not accessible/working/recognized
- USB drive data recovery: How to recover lost data from USB flash drive?
- How to encrypt USB flash drive for Mac & Windows PC usage?
- How to recover deleted/lost files from BitLocker encrypted USB flash drive?