How/Where to find lost Bitlocker recovery key?
- April 02, 2014
- Posted by Admin
- Bitlocker Drive Data Recovery
A BitLocker recovery key is a special key that you can create when you turn on Bitlocker Drive Encryption for the first time on each drive that you encrypt. You can use the recovery key to gain access to your drive you have encrypted. A recovery key can also be used to gain access to your files and folders on a removable storage device (such as an external hard drive or USB flash drive) that is encrypted using BitLocker To Go, if for some reason you forget the password or your computer cannot access the drive.
Bitlocker recovery key is same as the key (it stores in a .BEK file named like Bitlocker+Recovery+Key+4C2392DC-60A8-4B98-95AA-6A91D2191EB4.BEK) on the following screen:
To verify that this is the correct Bitlocker recovery key, compare the start of the above identifier with the identifier value displayed on your Bitlocker encrypted volume.
How/Where can I find my lost Bitlocker recovery key?
How to get the lost Bitlocker recovery key depends on how your PC is set up, there are different ways to get your recovery key
1. If you are a domain user, contact your administrator to get your recovery key. Check how to recover Bitlocker recovery password/key from Active Directory.
2. If you are not a domain user, there are several locations in which your BitLocker recovery key might have been saved. Here are some places to check:
- Your Microsoft account online: This option is only available on non-domain-joined PCs. To get your recovery key, go to Microsoft account and get BitLocker Recovery Key.
- A saved copy of the recovery key: You might have saved a copy of the BitLocker recovery key to a file, a USB flash drive, or printed a hard copy.
Related Bitlocker recovery solution: