Bitlocker drive showing unknown file system, how to recover data?
I have Bitlocker encrypted 1TB external hard drive, today, when I tried to open it, an error box appeared saying "Drive is not accessible, parameter is incorrect". I right clicked and checked 'properties' of this Bitlocker encrypted external drive. It showed me Used Space = 0 bytes and Free Space = 0 bytes, file system as 'Unknown (Bitlocker encrypted). How should I access the data stored in it?
In this situation, the file system of Bitlocker drive has been corrupted so that Windows is unable to recognize it and showing unknown file system type. It is usually caused by unexpected power failure, improper ejection, file system corruption, virus attack, system crash, Windows update, etc.
When Bitlocker drive is not accessible, the data stored in it cannot be accessible either. We have to format it so that we can access the drive, but the data will be lost once we format the unknown Bitlocker drive, so we must recover data first before formatting it. How to recover data from unknown Bitlocker drive?
Bitlocker data recovery software
M3 Bitlocker Recovery is a professional data recovery software that can recover data from inaccessible Bitlocker drive, recover lost data from formatted Bitlocker encrypted partition, recover data from deleted or lost Bitlocker partition, recover data from failing Bitlocker drive, recover data from RAW Bitlocker drive, recover data after Bitlocker encryption/decryption failed, etc.
Tutorial to recover data from the unknown Bitlocker drive
Step 1: Download, install and launch M3 Bitlocker Recovery on your computer.
Step 2: Select the unknown Bitlocker drive and then click Next.
Step 3: Enter the password or 48-digit Bitlocker recovery key.
Step 4: M3 Bitlocker Recovery is scanning the data from the unknown Bitlocker drive.
Step 5: After the data is found from the unknown Bitlocker drive, please select them and click "Recover" to start recovery.
How to fix the unknown Bitlocker drive?
After data recovery from unknown Bitlocker drive, we can fix "Bitlocker drive unknown file system" error by reformatting:
1. Right click the unknown Bitlocker drive in My Computer (This PC) or Disk Management.
2. Select "Format..." from right-click menu.
3. Enter the related information about format.
4. Click Start button to format this Bitlocker drive, this Bitlocker drive will be working again after format completes.
- How to unlock Bitlocker drive with/without password and recovery key?
- How to access Bitlocker drive on another Windows PC, Mac or Linux?
- How to disable, turn off, remove Bitlocker drive encryption in Windows 10/8/7?
- How to remove Bitlocker encryption from USB drive, pen drive, external HDD on Windows and macOS?